Sunday, May 15, 2011

Protected

Is it better to experience life making mistakes or to protect yourself from ever feeling such pain? Until now, I have lived my life protected from mistakes and from heartache. On the upside, I don't really feel like I have any regrets. On the downside, I don't really know what I believe because I've never tried things out. Has it been worth it? I have yet to decide.

After having my first drink last night, the world didn't suddenly cave in around me. I was still the same person. Because of my over-active guilt drive I felt a little sinful, but that was a minor feeling compared to just feeling healthy. Shouldn't I allow myself to have more experiences like that so I can actually grow as a person?

The problem with learning to experience life is that I'm afraid to have regrets. The few times I have taken risky steps it took me days of counseling from others to get over the feeling of guilt that followed. I think what I need to do is just go do something really crazy - get a tattoo, go get something pierced, get drunk with my friends - and then learn that it doesn't make me any less of a good person. (At least I think it doesn't...)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, get a tattoo. If you get one, I'll get one
    Or just try something out you've never done before, not worrying if you do it "right" or not. I've found that you can't go through life without making mistakes -- and, therefore, having regrets.

    ReplyDelete