Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What Next?

What do you do if you graduate college with a degree in religion and yet are totally disillusioned with all God has to offer? That's where I'm currently stuck. My degree is essentially worthless at this point. So what do I do?

Since I've been back home I've been slowly applying to various jobs, many of them clerical in nature. I'm mostly just looking for something to keep me busy and help me save some money for a car. But what about an actual career? To do that I would probably need to go back to school, but at this point I have no drive whatsoever. What happened? I used to be so into school and learning, and now I just want to sit on my butt and do nothing. And yet I'm bored. It's a twisted trap I'm in: I hate doing anything, but I'm bored beyond belief just sitting here. I don't want to exert any effort to better myself, but I hate where I'm at. I'm just stuck.

I don't think this is how life is supposed to be. Aren't you supposed to want to spend your life doing something? Aren't you supposed to have some sort of passion? At this point, anything requiring skill scares me and everything else seems boring. What happened to me? How am I supposed to go on living like this? At least when I was blinded by religion, I had something to be passionate about. Now what? Is it better to be blind but happy or to see the holes in your beliefs and feel miserable about it? How do I regain a semblance of purpose when all I believed in is currently hanging on by a thread? I just don't know anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I would say you don't have to know what your career is going to be right off the bat after college graduation. What's more, most people change careers several times during their working life. My point is, it really doesn't matter what your degree is in. As long as you're smart and a self-starter, people will hire you. (As I've pointed out before, I once worked for a VP who had a bachelor's in French.)But . . . hire you to do what, you probably immediatley ask. I don't know. The problem is you're in a place where nothing excites you as a job prospect. Depression in blurring your critical faculties. Everything looks pointless. I've been there. That's why I thought working for the zoo might be cool. You know, no matter your emotional state, that you love animals. So maybe just go with that.

    ReplyDelete